Just Piddling Around

        I made some couches for the parlor of the Willow.  The word parlour/parlor always brings a smile to my face. My husband's family is originally from New England and his mother has the best accent. They had a tiny house out here in Las Vegas and she always referred to the living room  as the parlor. One day my husband was telling some kids that he left his baseball on the bureau in parlor...... Well the kids cracked up laughing at the 'parlor' and may have asked if he lived in a brothel.  Then they asked, "what is a bureau?".
       We are very unsophisticated out here in Las Vegas, but I am doing my best to recreate a Colonial era house. I spend too much time reading and watching historical dramas....
       I'm sure you recognize the House of Miniatures sofa, the chair is from the Realife miniatures library kits.

    Here is the kitchen. I wanted a walk-in fireplace, but I didn't want to spend what they were being priced for, so I made one. It is definitely rustic, but not bad for a rookie.

      Enjoy your upcoming 4th of July and be happy you don't have to cook in a walk-in fireplace.

Comments

  1. The parlor is looking fabulous! I love the combination of the dark wood furniture with the white shelving and fireplace, and the blues in the wallpaper, rug and soft furnishings play so nicely together!

    The walk in fireplace is really neat! Looks like Paperclay? You did a great job and it looks perfect in the kitchen! You are right tho - not having to cook in one is a blessing, especially in Las Vegas!!!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the walk-in fireplace! Painting all those bricks must have been time-consuming, but it fits in very well with your rustic kitchen. "Parlor" is what it would have been called in the colonial era, but love the story of the kids' reaction to your husband's current use of it. :-) Whatever you call it, it's a very pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parlour is the British/Canadian spelling of the word. Bureau is a word one rarely hears anymore so I can perfectly understand the kids laughter, but isn't it funny how words can become obsolete within a generation?
    Meanwhile, your Parlour furniture is beautifully done and your choice of rug is Perfect!
    I also love your walk in fireplace yet I can't imagine baking and cooking in it!
    There are so many tasks which our ancestors performed each day, which we don't know or fully appreciate anymore, which is why I believe, that watching Historical Dramas is Absolutely Essential! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job. I love the wallpaper in the parlor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Reach me Here

Name

Email *

Message *