Part Three......I'm Wigging Out!

Like totally dude.

 Sorry if you don't get my 80's humor.




Well, I meant to get back to part three sooner, but 1. Thanksgiving got in my way and  2. I realized, I didn't take many pictures of the styling process because it is difficult to unwind myself from the hair and actually take a picture.
So I tried to take a few pictures of my latest doll in the beginning stages.
Here was what Colleen had going on last week....
Bald is beautiful, but cold


 Basic Wigging.

Take a hank of Viscose (Synthetic, rayon type, fiber that can be found on many on-line sites)) about as wide as your index finder. Fibers pull apart easily form the main hank. Do not cut it.
 It should look like this
A little scraggly....

 Next use you fingers to clean the hair up.

You play with it and smooth out to get rid of the frizzes. If you want straight hair. this where you would stop.


 For curls, the hair is wet with DISTILLED water.

 Wet it with a little mister filled with DISTILLED water. For some reason distilled works better.( I trust the experts)...I have no idea why this is true, maybe the lack of minerals doesn't weigh down the hair???

 For individual curls, the viscose is wound upon a knitting needle

 Then it is clamped with a small hair straighter. This sets the curl faster, or you can wait for it to dry
Clamp it intermittently for 2-3 seconds, moving the needle



This is a finished ringlet




I did not use individual ringlets for Colleen

For Colleen, I wet my hanks of hair and inserted them into an 1/2 inch pleater until they were dried
This is the dry pleated hair


Next add tacky glue to the dolls head so it looks like a natural hairline.....She looks like she is getting a shampoo






This is Claire demonstrating this step

Adding the hair.

Video by Dana Burton


This is a wonderful video by Dana Burton on YouTube about this magical thing named the wigging cross:  That is essentially how I stuck my viscose to Colleen's head.

Here is Colleen doing her Cousin It impersonation.




Now, once the glue has dried, I flipped her bang area back, just like the video. I knew she was going to have an Edwardian hair style, so I twisted a big bun a top her head, and eyeballed what looked best. (I was totally winging it here). Once I found something appealing, I used little dots of tacky glue and pinned it down with sewing needles. I also teased it out in some sections to give it that poof....you know that poof we were so fond of in 1986????

Viola!



There are many more videos on wigging out in the inner webs...I was able to remove a bad wig I did on a male doll. I shaved him as bald as possible and then scrubbed his head with dawn dish shop. The tacky glue released. Her he is looking human with his special lady.....
Any Outlander fans out there???







Comments

  1. Bravo!!! Your wigging out tutorial was inspirational! I loved all of your techniques for curling and waving the hair. I haven't wigged a doll in years but the next time I do, I shall refer to your tutorial for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I'm going try to do an old doll, and see if it is easy.

      Delete
  2. Your hilarious. Love the Cousin It reference. This has been so fun watching how you made my doll. She will be treasured for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so lovely, Carrie! You truly have a talent for making up, outfitting and wigging gorgeous dolls! Now you're going to need to build a castle for the Outlander dolls to live in! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some Outlander!!! Too bad my husband won't don a kilt for any amount of bribery.
      Thank you for you kind words Jodi.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Love the tutorial on the hair. But you would have to know how to style it, yes? That's where I would fall completely apart, and you did a beautiful job. The little extra poufs on the side are so charming. (And, yes, I love Outlander. Watching the current season, but it's been so long since I read the book, I can't remember how much of it matches and how much doesn't. )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Reach me Here

Name

Email *

Message *