I've Taken a Trip to the Doll side.....

     I haven't done any work on my Coloinal house. It is currently being used as storage.  After all, it has lovely, well decorated cubby holes. ;( Fear not, I still love my houses and will eventually continue on that path. I have veered off into the mini-porcelain doll world. I am enjoying the compactness and short duration of completing a project.

This is my latest doll. Her name is Colleen, and she is for a fellow mini-friend.

     I thought I would share how to assemble, dress and wig a porcelain doll. I have been buying and reading various books as well as learning from Dana Burton and a friend on the Greenleaf forum.

Supplies:

  • A porcelain doll blank
  • Aileen's tacky glue
  • super glue, preferable Zap A Gap brand
  • Cotton balls
  • Acrylic paint (for painting face)
  • nail polish (shoe and glove painting.
  • Pipe cleaners AKA chenille stems
  • Light weight fabrics and laces with appropriate scale
  • Viscose for wigging
     I'm sure I have forgot something, but I will add later if needed.

First, find a doll blank. The face can be painted or you can paint it using acrylic paint 

This is for a future Claire of Outlander doll. Her face is china painted by Helena.http://www.dollsinminiature.com/

This is my doll that I painted the face using acrylic paint. The doll is from a sculpt by Parker Levi.

Next, I painted her shoes and gloves with nail polish, and allowed them to dry.


I used gold acrylic paint to the boot for buttons.


Once everything is dry, it is time to assemble the doll using pipe cleaners and cotton.

     I use a body proportion guide inserted into a plastic page protector. They are available by googling, or many doll makers have them listed on their websites. I first twist 2 pipe cleaners together, then bend them into a loop. I insert them into the torso of the doll and secure with super glue. Use can  use an accelerator or let it dry naturally.

     Now it is time to attach the legs.

Gradually cut the pipe cleaner while testing the correct proportion. The leg holes may be shallow or deep depending on how the mold is poured.
Here is my lady with legs attached. I am making sure she is balanced. She won't be able to stand on her own, but she looks proportioned to me. Glue pipe cleaners into legs using super glue and allow to dry.

Next wrap cotton around those pipe cleaners to add bulk.

A cotton ball will unroll like a roll of toilet paper if you are patient. Wrap the pipe cleanes with the cotton like a mummy until you are satisfied with the look. This also adds stabilty. I then take white florist tape to secure it better to the porcelain. I don't have a picture of this step.

Next I wrapped her in a slip made of broad cloth and lace. She is secured to a doll stand underneathe.

This is just a simple tube. Glue it low on the waist so you don't add too much bulk. You want to keep the waist area looking thin. I added cotton balls to her posterior so she has that typical Edwardian shape. The arms are assembled last, as it makes her easier to dress.



To Be Continued.....join me tomorrow for the next installment of "The Doll Side".....Muwahahah.




Comments

  1. Oh Carrie you've done an incredible job with the dolls! Such lovely painted faces, and the clothing is wonderful! I knew nothing about doll making, so I will be following your posts with a fascinated interest! Your houses are going to be so alive with dolls in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi......the faces are the hardest thing for me, followed by the wigging. I think my faces are a bit of a Monet'.....great from a distance!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, Carrie! This is really fascinating. Like Jodi, I don't really know anything about dolls, so this will be all new and wonderful for me. You've done a lovely job of painting, and I love the cotton ball bustle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, it is smoke and mirrors with these dolls as well. I wish I could have my "cotton" removed from my posterior region.

      Delete
  3. An excellent job painting the face, and I am so interested in the dressing (I'm a lifelong seamstress myself). :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brae. I have seen your sewing projects and you are very accomplished. I use to sew outfits for myself. (I made my wedding dress). It so hard to find notions and fabric since Hancock's closed.

      Delete
  4. You've done an OUTSTANDING job on her face, costume and coiffure, and how gratifying it is to be able to get a mini project completed within a relatively short amount of time- She's simply Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. They really are addicting.

      Delete
  5. You gave her such great character. Seems she might be singing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by. I can't wait to visit your Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so happy to read how you made the doll. Glad to know that I have an Edwardian booty....Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't shake it too hard, your stuffing might fall off....Now that would be funny!

      Delete
  8. Carrie, this is coming along brautifully! I am learning so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Reach me Here

Name

Email *

Message *